Thursday, December 23, 2010

30 Days of Truth - Day 2

Day 2 - Something you love about yourself.

Why is it so much harder to think of something that I love about myself than something I hate?

I love that I teach myself to do things, if that makes sense.

When I was younger, I had an amazing reading level for my age. I just read all of the time. I ended up skipping first grade and everything. My favorite books of all time was the Little House on the Prairie series. I loved how they made everything by hand. Laura Ingalls Wilder sewed her own dresses and quilts, milked her own cows, made her own butter, rode horses, and for a while, took care of her entire family of 6 with just the help of her father. I loved it, and I still want a pony.

At 8 years old, I couldn't get a cow or pony or make my own butter, but I could sew my own quilts (although, I haven't ever actually made a quilt...). So I went to my school's library and checked out books on quilt and doll making (I've made tons of dolls), and I taught myself to sew. I made clothes for my Cabbage Patch dolls and Barbies before moving on to making clothes for myself. My parents bought me one of those kiddie sewing machines, but the thread was always tangled and I hated it, so at 13, I saved up my lunch/chore money and bought my second sewing machine, an actual Brother sewing machine that I still use today.

And that's just sewing. Over the past 12 or so years, I've also taught myself to knit, crochet, bake, bind books, and reupholster furniture. If I want to learn anything, I've just grabbed a book and taught myself. That seems a great quality to have.

So, y'all have seen stuff I've sewn...

Blurry picture of a scarf I knit for a Glee swap. I actually prefer knitting to crochet, so it's rare that I crochet anything.

I got the recipe for baking bread from a cookbook, and y'all should already know about my love of baking cupcakes.

I found this old chair in my parents' garage and decided to change it up.

I painted it brown, re-stuffed it, and reupholstered it with a water-resistant fabric.

Maybe I just love my crafty nature in general?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Knit happens. - Free Blogger Templates, Free Wordpress Themes - by Templates para novo blogger HD TV Watch Shows Online. Unblock through myspace proxy unblock, Songs by Christian Guitar Chords